Alright, there's a lot of colors and pieces and artwork going on here but do not be overwhelmed. It's actually pretty easy to navigate thanks to the matching symbols and colors situation. Well done, designers!
The turn order goes like this: put out workers or take workers back and complete the action associated with that worker. The other player takes their turn. Start player turns the wheel and all the other wheels advance to the next spot. Repeat. That's it. Seriously! Okay fine you DO have to feed your workers but we'll worry about that in a bit.
So your workers are performing actions to collect resources to appease the gods. You can do that in several different ways. Yay for diversifying the game play!
- You place your worker at the lowest possible spot on a colored wheel gear. There are 5 different wheels that do 5 different things that are all beneficial in different ways. It costs varying amounts of corn to do this, depending on placement and how many workers, but that's explained on your handy dandy player reference card. Once the wheel advances to where you want your worker to be, you remove them and complete that action.
- The different resources (corn, wood, stone, gold, and crystal skulls) are collected and spent to do other actions. You'll want to get in on that business.
- On the top right, you'll see the temple. Make the gods happy and you move up the temple. This is an action on one of the wheels, or you can get a building to allow you to move up. This gets you bonus materials and also helps score points.
- Below the temple, you'll see the technologies. These pair with the colored wheels and allow extra resources to be collected, including all spaces you pass as well. So it really pays to move up on the technology tracks because then when you do remove a worker from a wheel, you get all sorts of goodies!
- Under the technologies are the buildings and monuments. Monuments are limited and cost a ton of resources to build, but are tons of points...er I mean gain lots of favor with the gods. Anyway, the buildings replenish and are not quite as life changing but do provide bonuses and other fun things and are worth your time.