Review: Frostbite by Richelle Mead
Title: Frostbite (Vampire Academy #2)
Author: Richelle Mead
Pub deets: 2008, Razorbill
Source: OWN IT.
Challenges: Sequel Challenge
Goodreads | Amazon | Author Blog | Twitter
Previously: Vampire Academy
In a sentence or so: There’s been a mac daddy Strigoi attack on a royal family so the all the St. Vlad’s peeps go on a posh ski vacation that of course results in love triangles and mysterious mysteries and ramps up on the drama facing the world of our favorite vampires as it becomes clear some things will have to change if they are to protect themselves from certain death.
Since I know I’m like the LAST person on the planet to read these books, allow me to tell you my top five feelings on Frostbite.
1. I LOVE ROSE. Forever. Mainly because she’s kickass but also because she’s confident and strong and yet still trying to figure out what she wants and how she’s going to get there. I will root for her forever and always. Can I tell you how wonderful it is that she know’s she’s got it going on so we don’t have to deal with the “Oh, you think I’m pretty? I had no idea” situation? BECAUSE I LOVE IT.
2. Worldbuilding rules. I am all about a rich mythology and Richelle Mead had us off to a great start in VA. She keeps the awesome coming in Frostbite with exploring some of the politics behind Dhampirs protecting Moroi and other such things. Also I love magic so obviously those types of things make me very happy.
3. More swoon, please! Oh yes, I know you guys love Dmitri and so do I. Really I do. But it was nice to see Mason get some play (even if we all know it’s not going anywhere) and to have that mysterious loner cousin dude come onto the scene. Also, I was loling like an idiot when Rose was up in Lissa’s mind when she and Christian were getting busy.
4. Shiz gets REAL. You know of what I am referring, readers of the VA series. I was all about the crazy ending and all of the things. I have much respect for an author that does not back down from the darkness in a dark world they’ve created.
5. Finally, I’m committed. It was not love at first read for me and VA. It’s taken time for that love to grow and I can say that I’m finally ready to commit to this series and wherever Richelle takes me. LET’S DO THE DAMN THING.
Fix er up: I feel like I’m just now starting to feel invested in the series. I’m hoping that momentum keeps up with the future volumes!
Pairs well with: Red wine. Okay, so I didn’t drink any whilst reading as I’m preggo, but the whole classy ski lodge situation and the building sexytime tension between lots of characters just screamed RED WINE to me.
Fave quote: "I didn't think my day could get any worse until my best friend told me she might be going crazy. Again." (8)
Lisa is a gamer, crafter, fangirl, mother, wife and unabashed nerd who is pretty ridiculous and it's best you know that up front. When she's not binge watching Netflix or crafting into the wee hours of the night, you can find her spending a lot of her time on Pinterest and Twitter.